Since Windows 10 operating system release there is still a lot of discussions on how the OS is spying on users machines and sending collected data about computer and installed applications to Microsoft servers. A lot of people getting angry because of this, someone don’t pay attention, and someone just turning off the appropriate service.
In this article we will show you how to disable telemetry in all Windows 10 editions by editing registry and turning off Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). First time Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program appeared in Vista and since then it became a part of each version of Windows operating system.
The ability to disable telemetry in Windows 10 can also be pretty useful for those users, who have old slow computers. In case of turning off CEIP, you can significantly increase the system performance of your old machine.
How to disable telemetry in Windows 10?
Solution for Windows 10 Pro and higher
In case you want to disable telemetry in Windows 10 Pro, you can do this using Group Policy Editor:
- Press Win+R and in new window type gpedit.msc, then click OK.
- Now go to:
Computer configuration -> Administrative templates -> System -> Internet Communication Management -> Internet Communication settings
- In newly appeared window double click on Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- In new window choose Enabled option to disable telemetry, click on Apply, then click OK.
- Close Group Policy Editor and reboot your PC.
Solution for all Windows 10 builds
In Windows 10 Home and Starter to disable telemetry you need to use Registry editor (because Group Policy Editor is not available in these versions of OS):
- Press Win+R and in new window type regedit, then click OK.
- Go to branch
- Right click on SQMClient folder.
- In newly expanded menu choose New -> Key.
- Give a name Windows to the new key and click Enter.
- Right click on new key and in newly appeared menu select New -> DWORD (32 bit) Value.
- Rename key to CEIPEnable.
- Double click on it and check if its Value data is set to 0. In case there is another value, set it to 0 and click on OK.
- Close Registry editor and reboot your PC.
That’s all! After reboot telemetry in Windows 10 must be turned off. Hope this was useful!