Almost every common user of Windows computer can face the application error 0xc0000142, which can be caused due to the number of reasons. Most often error 0xc0000142 appears when running apps (this is happening because there’s no specific library in the system, or due to the denied access). It’s important to mention that the downloading some sort of files from Internet won’t help you to solve this problem.
Usually this error appears with text message and looks like this:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.
How to Fix Error 0xc0000142 on Windows 10 Machine?
This error often occurs on Windows 7,8 or Windows 10 machines, and can became a great problem for the user. In this article we share a few solutions on how to fix the application error 0xc0000142 on Windows 10 device. Try these methods one by one and check if the error appears again.
Solution 1. Try to Perform a Clean Reboot of the Machine
The simplest thing to try is to perform a clean reboot of the machine. This method helped in many cases, so it’s worth to try it. Follow the steps below:
- Go to System Configuration and switch to Services tab;
- Check on Hide all Microsoft services and then press button Disable all;
- Click Apply, then press OK to close the window;
- After that the system will ask to restart the computer to apply the changes. Click on Restart.
Solution 2. Run the System File Checker (SFC)
Important! In order to perform the next instructions, you need to log in to the account with administrator privileges.
- Run Command prompt with administrator privileges;
- Type in and run the following command:
- After that the system scan will start. Wait until it finishes, reboot the computer and check if the application error 0xc0000142 occurs again.
Solution 3. Fixing Error 0xc0000142 with Registry Editor (regedit)
That’s another method to fix the error is by editing the registry. Follow the next steps:
- Press Win + R. Type in and run regedit.exe;
- At Registry Editor go to branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Windows;
- After that find LoadAppInit_DLLs in the right area. Double click on it and change its Value data from 1 to 0. Click OK to save changes.
Other Alternative Solutions to Fix 0xc0000142
- Check if your machine is infected with virus or malware;
- Modern games usually download the newest versions of DLLs automatically. But in case you are facing problems when running the game, you need to re-install DirectX and NetFramework;
- Install all necessary updates which are waiting to be installed (System settings > Update & Security > Windows Update). Wait until the installation finishes and then check if the error persists;
- That’s a rare situation, but you can face error 0xc0000142 because of the outdated graphics driver, so try to manually update it;
- It’s important to keep in mind that problems can occur because of the hardware’s damage. It is a pretty common thing when broken motherboards or graphics cards cause error 0хс0000142 on Windows 10;
Try to re-install the application that causes problems.