Error 0xc000007b is one of the most annoying Windows errors that users have to face these days while trying to run some application (including games like Fifa, GTA, Max Payne, Battlefield, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and many other games and applications which are pretty popular among the people).
The error code 0xc000007b mainly appears like shown below, but it can also appear while accessing some application:
yourexecutable.exe – Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
Error code 0xc000007b means INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT, and generally occurs due to missing or corrupted system or application files. The most common cause of this error—problems with NVIDIA drivers, other video cards are also subject to look at.
However, there may be other reasons for this error: interrupted installation of updates, the incorrect shutdown of the computer or the deletion of programs directly from the installation folder. In addition, the error can be related to some damage in the files of the following programs: Microsoft Visual C++, Direct X, and .NET Framework.
So let’s start with the methods to fix error code 0xc000007b in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.
Methods to Fix Error 0xc000007b in Windows 7, 8.1, 10
Here are some methods to test one by one. Before trying them, don’t forget to check your system with any antivirus as sometimes the problem is related to the virus infection of your computer.
Method 1. Update Your NVIDIA Video Card Drivers
The first action we would recommend before performing any others—to update the drivers for your video card, especially if it’s NVIDIA. Go to the official website of the manufacturer of your computer or laptop or just on the site nvidia.com and find the needed driver for your video card model.
Download and install the driver and restart the computer. It is very likely that the error will disappear after that.
If you are using a different video card model, try updating its driver. It is preferable to use WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) certified drivers.
Method 2: Reinstall DirectX, Visual C++ Redistributable, .Net Framework
A common cause of application initialization error 0xc000007b is a damaged or missing DirectX file, .Net Framework or Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable system files. Download and install the latest version of these apps from the official Microsoft website.
Tip. When reinstalling Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable, open the list of installed programs in the Control Panel (Control Panel > Programs and Features), remember the versions of Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Packages that you have installed. Uninstall them using the Remove button. After that, download and install the appropriate versions of Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable.
Note. When installing DirectX, it is necessary to go to the system folder SysWOW64 or System32 (depending on the OS version) and delete the files starting from d3dx9_24.dll and to d3dx9_43.dll. After that, install DirectX.
Method 3: Install the Latest Windows Updates
Try to download and install the latest Windows updates or upgrade your version of Windows 10 to the current build.
- Press Win + I and go to the Update&Security;
- Click the button Check for Updates;
- Windows should automatically detect and install all the necessary updates;
- Restart the computer to finish the installation.
Method 4: Run the Application as an Administrator
Try to start the game/application as Administrator. For example, in GTA, this in some cases helps to fix the error. Follow the instructions:
- Right click on the application .exe file;
- Click on the option Run as administrator.
Method 5: Re-install the App
This method is simple but it is helpful for a lot of people who had this problem. All you have to do is to re-install the application in which you are having this problem.
- Uninstall the application from Control Panel.
- Restart Windows.
- Re-install the application from the original installation disk/image.
Method 6: Try to Run the Application Using the Compatibility Mode
Sometimes the application you are using is not compatible with your system. To fix this issue you have to try to run these apps in compatibility mode. This is effective for the games which require high system configuration like Fifa, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and many others.
Run Application in Compatibility Mode:
- Right click on Application icon > сlick on Properties;
- Click on Compatibility tab;
- Check-up the box named Run this program in compatibility mode for;
- In the drop-down menu select an earlier version of Windows;
- Click Apply, and then OK.
Check NTFS application permission:
- Open Application installation folder. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\[Apps Folder]
- Right click Application folder > сlick on Properties;
- Click Security tab;
- Check-up Full control. Check the checkbox inside the Allow column;
- Click Apply, and then OK.
Method 7: Check System Files Integrity
Check the integrity of the system files. To do this, open the command line with administrator privileges and execute the command:
With this command, Windows will scan system files and fix some errors.
If you receive an error Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, run the following commands:
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Method 6: Check Your Hard Disk for Errors
The cause of the error can be a corruption in the logical structure of the file system or physical disk damage and can be resolved by checking your hard disk for errors and bad blocks.
- Run Command prompt as administrator;
- Search for the cmd.exe in the search bar:
- For Windows 7, 10 – Click on the Start Button in the left bottom corner and type cmd.exe in the search bar.
- For Windows 8.1 – Press the .Search key and type cmd.exe.
- Right Click on the cmd.exe and click on Run as administrator;
- Type chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter.
- If your Windows is installed on C:\ drive then it will ask you to schedule this volume to be checked at the next time the system restarts;
- Type Y and press Enter.
Now when you restart the Windows it will check the disk.
Method 8: Check and Fix dll Dependencies With Dependency Walker
In the event that the error is related to the error 0xc000007b when starting the game, it is worth trying to study the dependent files of the game using the utility Dependency Walker.
- Download and unpack the Dependency Walker x64 from the official website http://www.dependencywalker.com/;
- Run Dependency Walker, press File -> Open and select the problem game .exe file (not a shortcut);
- In the Module section, find the red error messages;
- Select problem dlls and look at the cause of the error;
- If the error is Error opened file. The system cannot find the file specified …, so the problem is that this library is missing;
- Try to find the appropriate dll files on the dll-files.com and put the downloaded files in the root folder with the game or in the C:\Windows\system32 folder;
Method 9: Debugging Application Startup Log with Process Monitor
Using the official Microsoft utility—Process Monitor, you can track the activity of a problem application at startup. This way you can identify files, libraries or registry keys when accessing them, you receive the error 0xc000007b.
The Process Monitor utility allows you to monitor processes accessing to the registry (Regmon), file system (Filemon) in real time and receiving more detailed information about the interaction of processes, resource use, network activity and input-output operations
- Download the Process Monitor tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon), extract the archive ProcessMonitor.zip on a local drive;
- Run the Procmon.exe file with the administrator’s permissions;
- At the first start, you will need to accept the license agreement;
- Verify that event collection is enabled in the menu File > Capture Events;
- Run the crashed application and wait for the error 0xc000007b to appear (you can pre-enable the filter by the name exe file name);
- In the Process Monitor tool, select File > Save;
- Select the file format CSV (Comma-Separated Values). Events to save -> Events displayed under current filer (Also include profiling events).S pecify the path to the CSV file and click OK. Wait until the event log is saved;
- Open the CSV file in notepad and search for the error code 0xc000007b;
- Find the process log line with this error (be sure to review all previous events). Rather, you will see that error 0xc000007b is preceded by an access event to the library dll file;
- Remember the name of the library and try to determine which system component this dll belongs to. Remove this DLL through File Explorer and reinstall the component again (most often it is DirectX or Visual C ++ Redistributable).
In some cases, users have reported that the error above appears on illegal Windows versions or on third-party builds after installing updates. Install the original version of Window.
Now you are done! This will fix Error 0xc000007b in Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.