One of the most common errors while running the latest versions of games and applications (as example – Skype) on Windows 10 is The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer.
In this instruction, we will take a closer look on what is msvcp140.dll, how to download it from the official website and how to fix the error.
MSVCP140.dll is Missing
Before you start looking for a link to download msvcp140.dll (or any other *.dll files which causing errors during app run), we recommend you to find out what is msvcp140.dll to prevent you from downloading some suspicious files from untrusted websites (actually you can find it on Microsoft official website).
Msvcp140.dll is one of the libraries that is the part of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, which is used to run specific applications. By default, it is located in folders C:\Windows\System32\ and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ , but it also can be sometimes found in the folder with executable file of the application (if there’s other *.dll files too – it’s your case).
By default, there is no such file in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10. Usually, during the installation of programs and games that require msvcp140.dll and other files from Visual C ++ 2015, the necessary components will be installed automatically.
But sometimes this won’t happen. For example, in case you are installing some kind of repack or downloading a portable version of application, msvcp140.dll file that is needed might not be installed and you will face with The program can’t start because msvcp140.dll is missing error again.
The best solution on how to fix it – to download and install the needed components manually.
Tip. In case you are facing with msvcp140.dll is missing error – you can try to reinstall the game or application since all the *.dll files it needs will be included.
How to Download msvcp140.dll within Redistributable Package of MS Visual C++ 2015
The most correct way to download msvcp140.dll — to download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 redistributable package. Follow the instructions below:
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685 and click on Download.
- In case you have 64-bit OS, check on both of the versions (x64 and x86, it’s important!), if you have 32-bit OS – check on x86 only and download it on your computer.
- Run vc_redist.x86.exe at first, then — vc_redist.x64.exe.
After the installation is finished, you should see msvcp140.dll and other libraries in folders C:\Windows\System32\ and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.
Right after that you can run the application or game and, most likely, error won’t appear again.
Tip. Sometime msvcp140.dll can be deleted by uninstallation wizard of another application. Check if you have this file in the appropriate folders – C:\Windows\System32\ or C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.
Run System File Checker and DISM
There is a way to fix MSVCP140.dll error through the Command prompt.
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Input sfc /scannow and press Enter. Wait until the process finishes.
- Reboot the system.
- Go to Command Prompt again and execute the following lines (uppercase or lowercase, it doesn’t matter) and wait until the processes finish (few minutes):
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart the PC to apply changes.
Some additional things that can be useful in case you want to fix MSVCP140.dll is missing error:
- Installation of both x64 and x86 (32-bit) versions of libraries can be needed for 64-bit OS (because a lot of applications are actually 32-bit and require appropriate libraries).
- 64-bit (x64) Visual C++ 2015 (Update 3) redistributable package installer saves msvcp140.dll to folder System32, and in case 32-bit (x86) — to folder SysWOW64.
- In case you are facing with errors during the installation, check if these components are already installed. If yes – delete them and try to reinstall after that.
- In some cases, if the application still can’t be run due to error, you can try to copy msvcp140.dll from folder System32 to the folder with executable file of the application.
That’s all! We hope that this instruction helped you to fix MSVCP140.dll is missing error!