Usually, the most difficult thing about errors and bugs in Windows 10 are not the errors themselves but the way how the system reports them. Many times, all user gets is something cryptic like error code 0xc0000142. All user can do is to google this error trying to find something related to this error. If error 0xc0000142 happens when you try to launch a specific app or right after logging in to the system, this article will help you to troubleshoot a problem using all known methods. We gathered in here all we know about 0xc0000142 error in Windows 10, but we can’t guarantee that this article will fix all your troubles. Unfortunately, sometimes problems come and go with no apparent reason. In other scenarios, the less obvious tips should remove a problem entirely.
How to Fix 0xc0000142 Error in Windows 10 when Launching an App?
Error 0xc0000142 happens most commonly when user try to launch recently installed application or game. Windows shows error 0xc0000142 and prevents any further progress. Do note that this error may happen if you try to launch pirated software. We are not here to judge your licensing choice, but always keep in mind that using legal software is the only solution to receive maximum compatibility and proper technical support. Perhaps, developers know about specific error which causes error 0xc0000142 and can provide you more information about it. If you have hard time getting rid of error 0xc0000142, contact a developer of an app you try to launch.
Here’s what you can do to fix error 0xc0000142:
- Reinstall the app. That is the first thing you need to do when dealing with such kind of errors.
- Disable antivirus software. Sure, no need to disable it for good. Disable it just to make sure it does not mess with app’s files. Also, if you use pirated software, delete an application from your PC and re-install it again with antivirus being disabled. Word of caution here: by doing this you increase chances of being hit with malware!
- Although rare, also check your profile folder name. It should contain Latin characters only. Consider moving your app to another user folder with Latin characters in the name.
- Try feature called compatibility mode. Right-click the app’s icon and select Properties. Go to Compatibility tab. Place a checkmark next to the Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of the previous Windows versions. For example, Windows 7. Also, you can try to launch the app with Administrator privileges.
- Try a clean boot. If the problem if gone, then some third-party software messes with the app you try to launch. All you need to do now is to find which one.
How to Fix 0xc0000142 Error after Logging in to Windows.
Error 0xc0000142 may pop on your screen right after you turn on your PC and log in. Usually, this indicates that the app which causes this problem autostarts itself. If this app is not necessary, simply delete it (take a look and the message header – there should be a name of an app causing a headache). If you need to keep it, hit Win + R and enter services.msc. Locate the app in there and disable it. Also, check the Task Manager and disable autorun in there.
Additional moments to consider:
- Always keep your drivers up to date if there is no solid basis to stay away from the most recent version (known bugs or bad compatibility). Always update drivers when you troubleshoot some kind of problem in Windows 10.
- Download necessary Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.
- Press Win + R and enter regedit. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. Locate LoadAppInit_DLLs and change its value from 1 to 0. Restart your PC and try launching the app once more time.
Hopefully, this will help you to fix 0xc0000142 error in Windows 10.