Jokes aside, Windows Defender nowadays is a very capable antivirus for your Windows 10 PC. Also, it is completely free and available in every Windows 10 copy. Microsoft made big progress improving Windows Defender thus eliminated any need to buy additional security software for a casual Windows user.
You should not disable Windows Defender in daily use. Keep it running and let it protect your system from bad stuff from the Internet. If you read this article, then you probably know why you need to turn off Windows Defender. That’s ok. We understand that in some scenarios you simply should disable Windows Defender. For example, if you need to install a less known program which is safe but for some reason, it triggers built-in Windows 10 antivirus.
Now let’s get the main part of this article. You can easily disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 in a few clicks using Windows Security app. The only thing you should know is that you can’t disable Windows Defender permanently. Windows 10 does not like working without protection so in while it will turn the protection back on. That is completely fine if you want to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 temporarily. Do you want to turn it off for good? This article will tell you how to do it also.
For your information: do not disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 if you want to switch to some third-party antivirus software. Windows 10 is capable of automatic detection of a new antivirus and disables Windows Defender right after you run it. Very convenient and smart. The only thing you need to know is that your antivirus should be optimized for the recent Windows 10 releases. If it’s not, then Windows Defender will keep running to protect your PC and your data.
How to Turn off Windows Defender in Windows 10?
Open Windows Security app. Here are a couple of ways to do it:
- In the bottom-right corner of the screen locate a small icon with a shield and a green checkmark. That is Windows Security app.
- Press Win + I and go to Update and Security – Windows Security. Click Open Windows Security.
- Press Win + S and type in Windows Security.
- Press Start and locate the app in the app list.
Now you are in the Windows Security app. All you need to do is to flip couple switches and you are good to go.
- Click Virus and threat protection.
- Scroll a bit down and click Manage settings in the Virus and threat protection settings.
- Now turn off Real-time protection, Cloud-delivered protection, Automatic Sample Submission, and Tamper Protection.
You can’t turn on any of these settings unless your user account has Administrator privileges. Otherwise, Windows will ask you to enter the Administrator password.
Here is a small tip: do not like Windows Security icon in the bottom-right corner of the screen? No worries, you can turn it off and keep Windows Defender protection running. To turn off Windows Security icon open Task Manager and go to the Startup tab. Find Windows Security Notification Icon, press it and then hit the Disable button in the bottom-right corner. This option disables notification only and does not affect any protection inside Windows Defender itself.
How to Turn off Windows Defender Permanently?
If you like to live your life risky and without any PC protection, you can disable Windows Defender permanently. You can’t do this within Windows Security app because Windows will turn antivirus back on after some time to keep everything safe. Turning off Windows Defender for good requires messing around with Windows Registry. Before you do this, we strongly recommend creating a system restore point. It will help you to get back everything on track if something goes wrong.
- Open Windows Registry using any preferred method. Usually, we do this using Win + R – regedit.
- Copy and paste to the address bar the following path: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender. Press Enter.
- In the right side of the Windows right-click on the free space and select New – DWORD (32-bit value). Select 32-bit value even if you use 64-bit OS.
- Rename the new key to DisableAntiSpyware.
- Now double-click it and change the value to 1.
Now turn off your PC and turn it back on (or simply restart it). From now on Windows Defender will be turned off. If you want to turn it back on, simply delete DisableAntiSpyware key and restart a PC.