Although there are very few reasons to dislike FaceTime (maybe except the recent privacy vulnerably which Apple has already fixed), some people prefer not to use one of the best video/audio calls service. That’s totally fine. We are here not to tell why you should change your mind but rather how to disable FaceTime on iPhone, iPad or Mac if you do not want to use it for some reason (you need to tell us in the comments below). After all, that is why are here, don’t you?
This process is as simple as the headline of this article. Apple prompts you to enable FaceTime and iMessage during the first set up of your iOS or macOS devices. Simply do not agree. That’s the way to prevent FaceTime being enabled at all.
If you have your FaceTime enabled and decided to quit using this service, you can disable FaceTime just in few taps/clicks. Here is how to turn off FaceTime on iOS and macOS.
How to Turn Off FaceTime on Mac?
- Launch FaceTime using Dock, Launchpad or find it in search.
- Locate the FaceTime button in the menu bar. It will be next to the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your Mac.
- Click Turn off FaceTime. Alternatively, press Command + K to disable FaceTime faster.
- macOS will log you out of FaceTime. Now you can’t receive or make any calls using FaceTime on your Mac.
An important thing to note: turning off FaceTime automatically turns off the ability to receive and make calls using your iPhone on Mac. This feature is tied to FaceTime thus you need to keep it running if you want to make cellular calls using your Mac.
- Also, you can click FaceTime in the menu and select Preferences.
- Uncheck Enable this account. This option works just like Turn off FaceTime command.
- Alternatively, click on Sign out to log out of the Apple ID in FaceTime. This also turns off FaceTime.
Another Way to Disable FaceTime on Mac
It is very easy to turn on FaceTime back in. What if you want to prevent someone from enabling FaceTime? A child, for example. Here is what you need to do.
Before you go, make sure you have a separate child’s account with parental control enabled. Also, disable FaceTime using previous options first.
- On a parental account go to System Preferences – Parental Controls. Select the account you want to disable FaceTime for.
- At the Apps tab, put a checkmark next to the Limit Applications on this Mac.
- Check all the apps you want to allow your child and make sure FaceTime is unchecked. This setting will prevent your child from launching and setting up a FaceTime.
How to Turn Off FaceTime on iPhone?
This works on iPhone, iPad, and iPod—any iOS-device capable of making a FaceTime audio or video calls.
- Open Settings and scroll down until you find FaceTime option.
- Simply turn off FaceTime toggle and you are done. That’s it.
An Additional Option to Disable FaceTime on iOS
Again, it works on any iOS device with the only one condition: your iPhone/iPad/iPod should be updated to the iOS 12 or newer. It should be capable of working with the new feature called Screen Time.
- Tap on Settings and go to Screen Time section.
- Set up this feature either for your personal use or for your child. Make sure you have set up a Screen Time Passcode, so the child won’t be able to turn FaceTime or any other restriction back on.
- Turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap on Content Restrictions – Allowed Apps. Disable FaceTime in here.
- After you do this, FaceTime icon will simply disappear from the Home screen.
All done. Now it is up to you to decide which method you should be using to disable FaceTime.