The creepiest thing happened — you got in mess with your log in credentials or just forgot password from Windows 10 and found yourself locked out of your own machine. What can you do in this case? Of course, you can simply reinstall the system. But also you have another solution — you can try to reset account password using flash drive. This article will show you how to create the Windows 10 password reset USB.
Create Windows 10 password reset USB using OS built-in feature
Windows operating system allows you to create Windows 10 password reset USB, which can be useful in case you need to recover or reset lost account password. But the built-in feature has some serious disadvantages. The first one — you can create such USB only after logged in Windows. This means, that you need to prepare password reset USB beforehand. The second disadvantage is that this won’t help you to reset or recover Microsoft Account password.
So, in case you had previous negative experience or just like to make your computing safer, and right now you want to create Windows 10 password reset USB, you need to follow the instructions bellow:
- Connect USB flash drive to your computer.
- Press on Win+S, type in User accounts and click on it.
- In the left menu click on Create a password reset disk.
- In next window choose the drive in which you want to create a password key disk.
- Enter the current account password and click on Next to finish.
After that you will see userkey.psw file on your USB drive. This file contents all necessary data which is needed to reset the password. You can transfer this file to any other drive and use it in case you need. To use newly created Windows 10 password reset USB, you need to connect it to your PC, then enter any invalid password and click on newly appeared option to start the reset.
Reset Windows 10 password using Online NT Password & Registry Editor
In case you lost your Windows 10 password and forgot to create a password reset USB, you can use third-party tools too. In this example, we will use Online NT Password & Registry Editor utility. This one and similar tools allow you to reset account password (but only for Local Users account). Keep in mind, that it’s also not able to help you to reset Microsoft Account password (but it can help you to get into the system!).
Before you use Online NT Password & Registry Editor, you need to copy its files on USB flash drive. So, at least you will need a computer to do this. Now follow these instructions:
- Download the tool here (you can choose between bootable CD image or archive with files).
- Download the archive and extract it on your USB flash drive.
- Press Win+S, type in Command prompt and run it as Administrator.
- Run command (you need to set your USB drive letter):
e:\syslinux.exe -ma e:
If something went wrong, you can download an archive cd, extract the ISO image and create a bootable flash drive. The important thing is that in this case you need to check on SysLinux bootsector/Linux distribution using during utility configuration.
So, you successfully created password reset USB. Now follow these steps:
- Connect the USB flash drive to computer on which you want to reset the password.
- Turn on the PC and boot it from the flash drive.
- At start you can see a newly appeared information about the utility. Here press Enter to move forward.
- After that utility must find the system partition of the hard disk and show you some information about it. Now you need to choose it and move forward.
- After the partition check finished, you will see a list of possible options. We are interested in password reset, so we choose 1.
- At this step choose 1 too.
- Right after that you will see a table with a list of user accounts. In the first column you will find the RID-number for every of such account. Find this number for your account and type it in. In case you are trying to get into the system with Microsoft account, you need to choose hidden Administrator account.
- Now you can see a list of options for this account. In case you chosen Local account — you need to enter 1. In case you chosen hidden Administrator account — you need to enter 2.
- As a final result, you must get a message, which says password reset or Administrator account activation was successful.
- Now press Enter, after that type in q, and then – y (to fully finish the process).
- That’s all! Disconnect USB flash drive from your computer and reboot the PC.