Back in the day, careless booting your PC could end in waking up the entire house. All because you forgot to turn down the volume on speakers and the Windows startup sound woke everyone around. Those were the days… After the epic Windows XP startup sound Windows chimes became less annoying and more calm. In Windows 8.1 Microsoft turned off Windows startup sound entirely. Nowadays nothing plays when you turn on your PC, which is unfortunate for some people. Luckily enough, you can still enable Windows 10 startup sound and even set up custom Windows 10 sounds. Although Microsoft disabled startup sound by default, you have an option to enable it in the most recent Windows versions.
How to Enable Windows 10 Startup Sound?
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings. Click Personalization > Themes.
- Look for Sounds button below the current theme preview.
- After you click Sounds button a new Sound window appears.
- Locate Play Windows Startup sound checkmark and check it.
- Click Ok.
For your information: this option enables startup sound only. Windows 10 shutdown sound for some reason is missing from the system, but you can manually set custom Windows 10 sounds for shutdown using the section below.
This setting forces Windows to play startup sound every time you power on your computer. There is still one caveat. Windows won’t play any sound if it turns on using Fast Boot option. This means sometimes you will hear Windows startup sound and sometimes you won’t. To make sure Windows plays pleasant chime during the loading make sure you have disabled Fast Boot option in the Power Options.
How to Change Windows 10 Startup Sound?
Now things are getting a bit more complicated. Windows allows you to enable default startup sound, but it does not allow you to change it without going through registry editor jungles. So, we are here for you to make sure you know how to change Windows 10 startup sound from a bit boring Windows 7 chime to truly epic Windows XP tune.
- Press Win + R and enter regedit command. This requires Administrator privileges.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/EventLabels. Locate two options called WindowsLogoff and WindowsLogon.
- On the right side of the Registry Editor click on ExcludeFromCPL on both WindowsLogoff and WindowsLogon entries.
- Change ExcludeFromCPL key from 1 to . This forces Windows to include Windows startup sound and Windows logoff sound inside the sound settings where you previously enabled playing startup sound.
Now it is time to change default Windows 10 Startup Sound. Important: you can use .wav files only. Other formats are not supported.
- Again, go to Windows Settings and open Personalization > Themes.
- Click on Sounds and scroll down Program Events list.
- Locate Windows Logon and Windows Logoff option.
- Click on Windows Logon and select Browse.
- Select the new file from the Windows Explorer window and press Apply, then OK. Repeat this procedure with Windows 10 Shutdown sound which is labeled as Windows Logoff.
Enjoy your custom Windows 10 sounds, but don’t forget to lower the volume next time you turn on your PC in the early morning. Your family and neighbors probably won’t like Windows XP sound before the sunrise…