Did you know that every Windows 10 has a built-in hidden Administrator account? If you read this article, then you probably know. The thing is not many people know how to activate Administrator account in Windows 10. To make things clear, this article is all about hidden Administrator account in Windows 10, not about changing profile type from Regular to Administrator or vice-versa. Some situations require an activation of Administrator account in Windows 10. For example, you need to reset the password in Windows 10.
Enable Hidden Administrator Account in Windows 10
If you can’t log in with your current account, skip this part. The last part of this article describes how to activate the Administrator account in Windows 10 without a password. If you can log in, then do the following:
- You need to run Command Prompt with elevated privileges. In other words, run it as an Administrator. You can do it by clicking Start and typing cmd. Then, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Depending on the UAC settings, Windows may ask you to confirm the action. If your user has no Administrator access level, then you will have to enter the Administrator password.
- All that is left is to type in the following command: net user Administrator /active:yes. Hit enter and make sure Command Prompt reports successful command execution.
- That’s it. Now you can close Command Prompt and log out in order to log in with activated Administrator account. And yes, this profile has no password so no need to worry about that.
In some scenarios, Windows may ask you to disable the built-in Administrator account. Some Windows features do not work (for example, Microsoft Edge may not run at all) if the default Administrator account is the only profile your keep on a PC. In order to bypass this problem, create a profile with Administrator privileges and log in with it. Next, run Command Prompt as Administrator and execute the following command: net user Administrator /active:no. Hit Enter and close Command Prompt. Easy.
How to Activate Administrator Account in Windows 10 without Password?
Now, let’s cover a bit more challenging situation. Suppose you can’t log in with your primary account. For example, you forgot the password. If so, you can enable the Administrator account in Windows 10 and use it to reset passwords and restore access to your data.
Note: in order to complete this procedure, you need a Windows Installation Media on a USB stick or DVD drive.
- Boot to the Windows installation screen from your removable drive and hit Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt. Type in regedit command.
- Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the left sidebar then hit File – Load Hive.
- In the new window, go to C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM.
- Next, call a hive whatever you want. For example, Recovery.
- Now, on the left side of the Registry Editor screen, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hive Name\Setup.
- On the right side of the window, click CmdLine and change its value to cmd.exe. The same way change SetupType from 0 to 2.
- Again, select your hive on the left side of the window, then click on File – Unload Hive. Confirm your action.
- Close every window and restart your PC. Boot it as usual from your primary drive. Right on the Windows loading screen, you will be welcomed with the Command Prompt window. Type net user command in there.
- Next, type in net user Administrator /active:yes. Check whether the command was executed successfully.
- Now all you need to do is to disable launching Command Prompt right when the Windows starts. To do this, enter regedit command in the same Command Prompt window. This will open your typical Windows Registry Editor screen.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup and change CmdLine to blank and SetupType to .
- Close all windows using Alt + F4 and restart your PC.
Done. Now your built-in Administrator account is ready for the functioning. Just be sure not to use it as your main profile. Restore access to your previous profile, log in with it and disable the default Administrator account using the method we have described above.