In some cases, when you connect Android device to Windows 10 PC through USB cable, the system can’t detect the connected device. The system doesn’t see either the connected device itself, or its internal storage or SD card.
Open the Device Manager (right click on Start button and select Device Manager item, or press Win + R and enter the command devmgmt.msc). Expand the Other Device section and find the Unknown device with a yellow triangle icon and the exclamation point (in some cases, the device with the exclamation mark can be called MTP and located in the Portable Devices section).
Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for you device
A service installation section in this INF is invalid.
In most cases, Windows should automatically detect and install the appropriate driver for the connected Android device, but in some cases this does not work. Sometime this is happening due to the presence of antivirus which can block the installation of the device driver. But most often the reason which causes the error occurs when installing the MTP driver which is among the drivers available in Windows (and there may be several compatible drivers in the system), automatically selected inappropriate driver.
This problem is very simple to fix. MTP driver for Android devices need to be installed manually:
- In Device Manager right-click on the Unknown device or MTP Device and select Update driver;
- Select item Browse my computer for driver software;
- On the next screen select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer;
- Then select the section MTD-device or Portable devices (the window with the choice may not appear, then go to the next step immediately);
- Select MTP USB Device (not MTP Device) and press Next;
- If the installation is successful, you will receive the following message: Windows has updated your driver software. MTP USB Device.
- After the installation is completed, you will be able to access the files on your Android device from Windows Explorer.
In most cases, the MTP driver should be installed without problems, and the message about the incorrect installation section in this INF file will disappear. Do not forget that the MTP mode must be enabled on the Android phone or tablet itself (you can select this mode by pressing on the notification of an USB connection in the notification area). If you use the “charge only” mode, the connection will not work.
In a quite rare cases, your device may need some specific MTP driver (which cannot be found by Windows), then, as a rule, it is enough to download it from the official site of the device manufacturer and install in approximately the same way as described above, but for 3-rd step you need to specify the path to the folder with the driver files unpacked and click “Next”.
These instructions work on the following versions of OS: Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.