On Windows and Android operating systems, you may encounter a problem when the app can’t be installed in the device’s default install location. This problem shows itself in different ways, but in both cases it is necessary to achieve at least a change in the installation location of applications. This article describes how to fix “Application Cannot be Installed in The Default Location”.
Change the Default Install Location in Windows 10
This method describes the interaction with universal applications when the system determines the category and purpose of the program (in particular, Microsoft Store products).
Usually, the problem of installing to the default location is happening due to insufficient disk space or changing permissions on some system directories. In any case, the following instruction helps:
- Open “Windows Settings” → “System”.
- On the left, select the “Storage” menu.
- In the center window, go down and click “Change where new content is saved”.
- Change the drive to which data of different types will be saved (apps, documents, photos, etc.) and click Apply.
What is “Application Cannot be Installed In The Default Installation Location” on Android?
Most of the users, who doesn’t have SD card spaced enough to contain every Android app, having issues with this problem. But sometimes, this problem can occur even in case you have SD card and extra space. Whenever you try to install or update any app from the Google Play store or manually, an error message Application Cannot be Installed In The Default Location appears. This error doesn’t let you download or install/update any app from the Internet or manually.
Below are some useful methods to fix the problem, which are tested and can be helpful in most of the cases.
Method 1: Move to SD-Card
As we know, most of you already used this trick.
- Go to Settings → Manage Application → Select Each Application and Tap on “Move to SD Card “.
- If problem still persist, delete some of the applications which are not used much.
Even after this, in case your problem is not resolved, try the below methods and it will definitely help you.
Method 2: Change Preferred Location
If you are still facing with this problem, try the below trick. All you have to do to solve this issue is to change the preferred location:
- Go to Settings → Storage → Tap on Preferred Install Location.
- Choose the option Let the system decide option.
- And if the option in front of SD Card is tick, then untick it to change it to Internal Storage.
- This will help you to update and install any new app.
Method 3: Remove Duplicate Library
Some different libraries of a single app can take a lot of space and, as well, confuse the system. This can be the cause of issues like Application Cannot be Installed In The Default Location on Android devices. To use this method, you will need a root explorer or a file browser.
- All you have to do is to compare 2 different directories:
- –> data — > app
- –> data –> app_lib
- Now here you have to compare both the directories like this. Let me show you using the example.
- –> data –> app –> app_1.apk
- –> data –> app_lib –> app_1
- –> data –> app_lib –> app_2
- Here, as you see, there is a directory for app_1.apk(in app directory) in app_1(in app_lib directory).
- But you can’t find any app_2.apk(in app directory) in app_2(in app_lib directory).
- So here you should delete app_2(in app_lib directory).
Method 4: Clear Data in Play Store and Play Services
Sometimes clearing the data of the Play Store and Play services helps to solve the problem. Below is an example of how to do this in the shell of MIUI 10 (Xiaomi smartphones). Other shells may have different names and locations.
- Open “Settings” → “Manage apps”.
- Choose Google Play services.
- Perform the “Force Stop” and “Clear data” operations (located at the bottom of the screen).
- In “Clear data”, execute the “Clear cache” item. In “Manage space”, you can also execute “CLEAR ALL DATA”.
- For the Play Store app, the controls will be slightly different. In any case, select “Clear data” → “Clear all data” and “Clear cache”.
This is quite helpful for most of the people we know. This will definitely fix the Application Cannot be Installed In The Default Location issue.