After a while any computer performance starts to decrease. In most cases this is caused by a lots of temporary files, logs etc. The best solution in such case is to reinstall your operating system. But what can you do when you don’t want this for some reasons? In this tutorial we will show you how you can easily clean up Windows 10 computer without reinstalling the operating system.
Clean up Windows 10 PC without OS reinstall
To clean up your Windows 10 machine you need to use all known methods to increase the PC performance. In case you will skip one or several steps, it is possible that you won’t get rid of the performance problems.
Cleaning up PC using CCleaner
This tool cleans up all data which occurred due to application uninstall, browsing the web or files deleting on your PC. That’s why it’s one the best solutions to start with. Now follow the instructions:
- Download CCleaner using this link and install it on your computer.
- Run the application and go to Cleaner –> Windows.
- You need to check on the options which you want the CCleaner to perform.
Important! Deleting of temporary files, cleaning up the Recycle Bin etc. can’t be cancelled! Your data will be lost forever after that.
- Now switch to Applications section and choose the needed options. This module allows to clean cache, cookies and browsers history.
Important! Pay attention to Saved passwords. All website logins, passwords etc. will be deleted, so it’s better to make a backup before proceed.
- Now click Run Cleaner, confirm the action and wait until process finishes.
- After that go to tab Registry. Here you will see default options which is not recommended to change (only for advanced users).
- Now press Scan for Issues, after the scan finished – click on Fix selected Issues… .
- In new window click No and cancel the registry changes backup option.
How to free up RAM on your PC?
There’s several solutions on how to free up RAM and boost your computer. Bellow we will take a closer look on each of them.
Manual clean up
It’s the most popular method. Follow the instructions:
- Run Task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
- Go to Processes tab.
- Sort the list of the processes by CPU, then by Memory. Find out what the processes generate the highest computer load.
- Now right click on the necessary process and choose End task.
Important! Save all necessary data and opened files before closing applications!
If the processes can’t be finished manually – most likely, your PC is infected with virus in this case and you need check it using antiviruses. Other cause of this problem can be onboard applications and other soft. To completely stop them, you need to follow the instructions:
- Go back to Task manager and switch to Startup tab.
- Right click on app in the list, choose Disable.
- Repeat this step for all necessary heavy load applications.
- Close the Task manager and reboot your PC.
Important! If CPU and RAM is heavy used by some system process – do not disable it until take a closer look on its functionality. In case of disabling one of the basic components, you can cause a crash.
Clean up RAM using third-party tools
If you don’t want to free up RAM manually, you can use some third-party tools for this purpose.
Mz RAM Booster
There is a great tool to free up RAM – Mz RAM Booster. Tool also allows you optimize PC functioning and speed up your PC processor. It’s very user-friendly and pretty easy to install: you need to download the tool, run it and press the needed button (Smart Optimize, Recover RAM, CPU Boost) to perform the operation.
The most creative way to free up RAM. You need to create a script that will perform the task. To do this follow the instructions:
- Create a *.txt file on your Windows 10 desktop.
- Open it using Notepad and paste the following code:
MsgBox “Free up RAM?”,0,”Clean up manually”
Msgbox”Finished”,0,” Clean up manually”
Important! Value 409600000 is calculated using formula: N*1024+00000; N – your RAM quantity in Gb. For example, for 2 Gb RAM the value is 204800000, for 6 Gb – 614400000.
- Click on File –> Save As…, set it the .vbs extension and click Save.
- Run the script you created earlier and follow own instruction. If the things didn’t change, run the script a few times, this wouldn’t hurt your PC.
Hard disk defragmentation
This operation is not only increase the system performance, but also makes your hardware life longer. All time during work with PC, users copy, transfer and delete some of the files. In case the file is a big one and can’t be saved on one particular part of HDD, it will be fragmented and saved to a different parts of the hard drive. Thus, this makes hard drive answer time longer and decreases its performance.
There is a great solution on how to optimize your HDD. Follow these instructions:
- Go to Apps –> Defragment and optimize drives.
- Choose the necessary drive.
- Click on Optimize and wait until it finishes.
- Repeat these steps with all local and logical drives.
Formatting computer’s hard drive
In case you decided not to reinstall the Windows 10 OS and keep it, follow these instructions:
- Go to This PC.
- Right click on the drive and choose Format… .
- Choose NTFS file system, check on Quick Format option and click Start.
- Confirm all the local drive data deletion.
Important! By implementing these instructions, you will delete all the data. Create a backup before proceeding. Do not format the system drive!
That’s all! Now you know how to clean up Windows 10 PC without operating system reinstall. Hope this was useful!